have you tried a Cabernet Red Wine? Prices and best brands. Pairing and characteristics. Red Cabernet wine is one of the best known wines for lovers of good wine, its flavor, aroma and quality make it an ideal choice when it comes to enjoy.
Its fruity, herbal and floral aroma make it a delight capable of seducing the most demanding and exquisite palates, thanks to its perfect harmony.
what is Cabernet Red Wine?
Cabernet red wine is a wine with an intense red color full of fruity, floral and herbal aromas that become more complex through aging.
Origin and History of Red Cabernet Wine
Its origin is not very well defined, some historians and researchers indicate that the main vine with which it is made comes from Bordeaux, and was the main ingredient of red wine centuries ago. Some writings indicate that in the 17th century Cabernet was known to be a descendant of the Bituric vine and was called Bidure.
Nowadays, however, researchers have deciphered that Cabernet comes from the crossbreeding of Cabernet Franc and Sauvognon Blanc vines.
It is currently one of the best known grape varieties worldwide thanks to its organoleptic characteristics that result in excellent red wines full of aromas and pleasant flavor.
Characteristics of Cabernet Red Wine
Cabernet red wine has a very interesting tannic structure and a stable color when it reaches full maturity.
- When young they are fruity
- It is a wine with a jammy taste
- Intense color
- Dense tannins
- It has lively acidity
- It is a wine suitable for aging
Color, flavor and aroma of red Cabernet wine
Cabernet red wine is a very pleasant wine thanks to its fine texture.
- Appearance: Intense dark red color, ruby with violet notes that evolve to brick color with the passage of time
- Nose: Pleasant fruity aroma in which redcurrant, cherries, plums and red fruits stand out. When aged in oak barrels, the tobacco and chocolate aromas characteristic of this aging process appear.
- Palate: It presents flavors of pine, cedar, graphite, dark chocolate and black olives. Over time it can undergo transformations that make it worthy of deep, velvety aroma, very good palate and structure. Young wines are rough and hard, so oak aging or bottle aging is recommended to refine their structure
Alcohol Content of Red Cabernet Wine
Cabernet red wine is a well-structured wine with fruity aromas and flavors that make it very special. Its alcohol content is 14.5%.
Types of Cabernet Red Wine
Cabernet is a wine that can be aged for excellence, its aging in oak barrels gives it greater complexity and accentuates its qualities.
This wine is aged for a few months before bottling, resulting in a rough and astringent mouthfeel.
Its ageing in oak barrels gives it more fullness, enhancing the natural qualities of its vines.
Cabernet Red Wine Pairing
Cabernet red wine is ideal for pairing and accompanying full-bodied, tasty and fatty dishes.
- Red meats: Roasted or grilled, it enhances the flavors and delights the palate
- Game meats: A special combination that will fascinate you
- Stews: They combine creating a balance of flavors
- Stews: A delight that outlines the flavors
- Pastas: Especially those with strong and spicy sauces
- Rice dishes: Any dish made with rice is a delight if accompanied with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon Blanc ink
- Cured meats: A well-balanced sensation
- Cheeses: Especially with fatty cheeses such as cambembert, as well as with strong and mature cheeses.
how is Cabernet red wine made?
Cabernet red wine is made from Cabernet Sauvignon vines, and can be accompanied by other vines such as Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Petit Verdot, Merlot, Shiraz or Tempranillo.
Its maceration process is carried out according to the producer’s interest, if a long process is carried out, very tannic and tasty wines are obtained that require years of aging, its fermentation process is carried out in stainless steel at a controlled temperature of 30°C (86°F). Aging is carried out in oak barrels.
Characteristics of the grapes from which it is made
The vines used to make Cabernet Sauvignon are red vines full of organoleptic qualities that fill this delicious wine with flavor and aroma.
Cabernet Sauvignon grape
The best known grape variety used to make delicious red wines full of great qualities.
- Very small cluster
- Small berries with slightly colored flesh
- Very vigorous and upright vines
- Late budding withstands spring cold weather well
- Requires long pruning and guyot pruning for adequate production
Cabernet Franc grape
It is a variety widely used together with Cabernet Sauvignon for the elaboration of Bordeaux wines
- Medium sized clusters
- Small berries with thick skin
- Very susceptible to excoriosis and wood fungus complex
- Adapts well to all types of soils, likes clay-limestone soils
- Very light, aromatic and pleasant young wine base
It is an ideal grape for the production of young wines.
- Small to medium-sized clusters
- Large, rounded berries
- Early budding vines
- Sensitive to powdery mildew, excoriose, other wood diseases and black-rot
- Requires good supports for its formation
It is the most widespread grape variety in the world together with Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Medium to small cluster size
- Small berries with unpigmented flesh
- Early budding and mid-season ripening strains that can alter with zones and different environmental temperatures
- Variety not very sensitive to wood diseases
Petit Verdot grape
Its vines produce a very powerful full-bodied wine with plenty of color
- Small cluster size
- Small berries with dark violet epidermis
- Quite rustic variety, with good adaptability to all types of soils and to drought
- Not very sensitive to mildew, powdery mildew and fairly resistant to gray rot
- Very colored musts, with high sugar content and quite tannic
Cabernet Red Wine Temperature
The Cabernet red wine is a pleasant wine with well-defined aromas and fruity flavors of great magnitude.
It is recommended to be served at a temperature between 16°C and 18°C for young wines, and between 18°C and 20°C for an aged wine, temperatures at which it will show all its splendor.
Price and best brands of Cabernet Red Wine
The Cabernet red wine is a fairly well-known broth that has captivated the most demanding palates thanks to its display of aromas, its price usually ranges from €5 to €500.
Travesura Cabernet 2017
An intense cherry red color, which stands out thanks to its aromatic notes of herbs, flowers and spices that give it good body thanks to its tannins €5.90.
Coppola Diamond Red Blend 2015
This is a deep purple red wine, with a pleasant red fruit aroma, which gives it a great structure with a long finish 19,50 €.
Echo de Lynch Bages 2011
A deep and clean red wine, with aromas reminiscent of blackberries and currants, with smoky touches, which give it a pleasant mouthfeel with a dry finish 45,90 € 45,90.
A deep red colored red full of red fruit aromas dominated by red currant that evolves into spicy, fresh and balsamic notes, its palate is fresh, intense and quite balsamic 77,90 €.
Château Léoville Poyferré 2009
A deep red wine, dark and bright, with ripe fruit and cedar aromas that make it fine and complex with a persistent finish 340 €.