List of all alcoholic beverages How many types of alcoholic beverages are there? Do you like alcoholic beverages and want to know more about them?
There are thousands of people all over the world who love alcoholic beverages, their flavors, aromas and particular characteristics make them a true delight that makes you rave and enjoy the atmosphere much more.
However, there are many unknowns regarding the subject of alcoholic beverages, and there is a wide range of them that have emerged over the years, so we invite you to read on and learn more about this topic that you will surely love.
what are Alcoholic Beverages?
Alcoholic beverages are those containing ethanol, that is, ethyl alcohol within its composition, the amount of alcohol in a liquor or other alcoholic beverage is measured both by its volume of alcohol and its alcohol content.
And according to its elaboration, a distinction can be made between beverages produced simply by alcoholic fermentation and those produced by distillation.
Alcoholic beverages and their alcoholic strength
Alcoholic beverages are diverse and, as such, have different alcoholic strengths according to the number of volumes of alcohol contained in 100 volumes of the product measured at a temperature of 20 degrees Celsius.
This is a measure of percentage concentration by volume, which means, for example, that if a beer has an alcohol content of 5 proof, it has 5% alcohol, i.e. 5 grams of ethanol per liter.
Fermented beverages such as wine, beer, sake or cider generally contain an alcoholic strength ranging from 3.5% to 15%. While distilled beverages have an alcohol content between 15% and 45%, so we can find then the alcoholic beverages classified by their alcohol content in:
- Ordinary: Those with an alcohol content of up to 20º to 25º.
- Semifine: Those with an alcohol content of 25º to 35º.
- Fine: Those with an alcohol content between 35º and 40º.
- Extra-fine: Those with an alcohol content of more than 55º.
Main alcoholic beverages and their alcohol content
- Cider: Cider has between 2% alcoholic content and 8.5%.
- Beer: Beer has between 3.5% alcoholic content and 11.5%.
- Wine: Wine usually has between 5.5% alcoholic content and 15%.
- Vermouth: This alcoholic beverage usually has an alcoholic strength that can vary between 6% and 22%.
- Aguardiente: With an alcoholic strength that is registered between 28% and 60%.
- Jäggermeister: This fascinating alcoholic beverage has an alcohol content of 35%.
- Gin: Gin has an alcohol content between 35% and 40%.
- Brandy: This fascinating alcoholic beverage has a graduation that varies between 36% and 40%.
- Rum: Rum has an alcohol content that usually ranges between 37% and 43%.
- Tequila: Distilled alcoholic beverage that usually has an alcohol content between 37% and 45%.
- Vodka: This well-known alcoholic beverage usually has an alcohol content between 37.5% and 42%.
- Cognac: Cognac usually has an alcohol content of 40%.
- Whisky: Delicious alcoholic beverage usually has an alcohol content located between 40% and 62%.
- Absinthe: It is the drink with the highest alcoholic graduation, and it is that it presents between 65% and 89%.
The types of alcoholic beverages that exist
As we all know, there are fermented, distilled, spirituous and creamy alcoholic beverages, which can be a little milder than others.
Each one has a large number of followers around the world who enjoy them and prefer them according to their particular preference. We can find sweet drinks and bitter drinks which delight the most demanding palates in the market.
Types of alcoholic beverages
There are several types of alcoholic beverages which are marked by their elaboration method, since it is right at this moment when the style is defined. Therefore, we can find grouped the wide range that exists in 4 basic types, which are:
These drinks were the first to exist, they are so called because they are produced through a chemical mechanism called alcoholic fermentation.
This is the process by which the sugar from fruits, herbs or seeds is converted into alcohol thanks to the action of some microorganisms present, such as yeast bacteria. Among this type we can find:
Also known as spirits, they are those obtained through the distillation process, which consists of boiling already fermented juices to separate the alcohol from the water.
And thus to be able to obtain a higher alcoholic graduation that can be between 17% and 45%, and to which in certain occasions even other ingredients such as starch or fruits are usually incorporated to increase its flavor. Within this type of beverages we can find:
Also known as generous, they are those obtained first by fermentation and then fortified by adding alcohol from distillation.
This process is carried out in order to balance the flavors, thus increasing their alcohol content as a consequence. Some of the fortified beverages we can find are the following:
- French Banyuls
Liqueurs and creams
They are those alcoholic beverages obtained by maceration, infusion or distillation of various natural vegetable substances such as fruits, herbs, among others.
With distilled alcohols flavored with a certain amount of sugar, which makes their alcoholic content exceed 15%, reaching up to 50%. Among this type of beverages we can find some such as:
- Apricot Brandy
what are the names of the most famous alcoholic beverages?
There are many brands in the alcoholic beverages market that travel around the world, and their names set a before and after in the liquor industry.
Their flavors and characteristics make them an institution as regards alcoholic beverages. Some of their most famous names are:
It is a vodka of Russian origin which is currently recognized as the best-selling vodka in the world, and it is sold in more than 130 countries. It is produced at the distillery of the same name, founded by Pyotr Arsenieyevich Smirnov in 1864.
San Miguel Gin
One of the best-known and best-selling gins in the world, it is a liqueur that has been produced since 1902 and its flavor and quality make it a real delight.
is a Scotch whisky with the highest sales and recognition, its quality, variety and flavor make it a delight that makes the palate sigh.
It is the first liqueur to combine cream and alcohol in a stable way that allowed its commercialization, also known as Irish cream, it can be drunk alone with ice or as part of a cocktail, and its flavor, texture and quality make everyone sigh at its side.
It is the most popular and best-selling cachaça in Brazil and over the years it has become an icon in this charming country. It has been produced for more than four decades and is recognized for its high quality, exquisiteness and purity.
It is a white rum that has gone around the world, and it is synonymous with quality, flavor, aroma and freshness, which is why it is recognized as one of the best rums in the world.
It is a very well known brandy and for many it is extremely special for being much sweeter than its competitors in the market. A delight that will leave a trail of sweetness on the palate of those who enjoy it.
Soju Chum Churum
It is a liqueur of Korean origin that has made its way around Asia, and it is very well known thanks to its great quality, flavor and charm, making it a mainstay in the Asian continent.
It is a liqueur containing 35% alcoholic content and made with herbs, which has made it very popular in Lower Saxony, Germany. An alcoholic beverage with great body, strength and flavor, ideal for strong drink lovers.
A dry stout type black beer brewed in Ireland, well known all over the world, and its quality makes it an institution not only in Dublin, but also in terms of beer.
what are white spirits?
White alcoholic beverages are those that are transparent and have a high alcoholic content, they are made by fermentation and distillation and are the most known by all liquor lovers. Among the white alcoholic beverages we have:
- Vodka: It is very versatile since it can be combined with various ingredients to obtain a refreshing and very original drink. It is made from the fermentation of many types of grains such as barley, wheat, rye or corn.
- Rum: It is a very well-known and versatile alcoholic beverage, usually combined with juices, sodas or fruits to create delicious drinks full of freshness and flavor. It is made with sugar cane juice or molasses, which is responsible for giving it its peculiar flavor.
- Tequila: It is a Mexican distillate very well known and requested, it is made from the blue agave plant, which is responsible for giving origin to this fascinating drink that is so popular.
- Pisco: It is an alcoholic beverage made from the juice of pisca grapes that after going through the fermentation process is distilled, thus creating a special flavor and high quality.
- Gin: It is a distilled alcoholic beverage that has a predominant juniper berry flavor and is very well known worldwide.
Alcoholic beverages should be consumed with great care since excess can cause serious health consequences, so if you are a lover of them you must remember that being rich in ethanol they have high alcoholic content that is best enjoyed if it is in short and small doses.